Saturday, January 12, 2013

Under-STAND?

So I have this really cool motorcycle in my garage now... but it looks kinda lame with those orange jack-stands holding it up.

I need a rear-stand.

Usually people who want to race motorcycles go through a period of "race-prepping" their bikes -which involves lots of things, but one of which is taking off the side kickstand and replacing it with a rear-stand of some sort. There are lots of different styles and designs, and you can get them everywhere from Harbor Freight to HRC (Honda Racing Corp. in Japan... which means "ridiculously expensive!")
Unfortunately my bike is unique -meaning narrow- so none of the existing rear-stands will fit...

So, it's back to speedymetals.com to order up more tubing!

 Plus I got to use my new tubing bender!

It's actually kind of a copy of an HRC stand from a RS250 race bike like the one below...

My design is similar, but one of the differences is that my stand has the "spools" integrated into the stand instead of the spools being on the swingarm. Instead, the spools on my stand hook into the "lifters" hanging off the rear of my axle plates. The white discs help center the stand in the lifters.




I haven't cleaned up the stand yet... it's still raw (and a little hot) from welding and there are some "embellishments" that I will be adding...
The stand will be painted the same light blue as the bike frame, but there are some brass pieces that I'm having waterjet cut. I'm making some brass plates that will attach to the sides of the stand. These plates will be made up of 2 parts... the first will have my "logo" etched into it, and the second part will be the "letters" of the logo attached making it very dimensional. The other brass parts will be some drilled brass washers on the outside of the plastic disc-guides... and at the bottom of the stand, the tubing ends will be slash-cut and capped with a small brass plug. That should add a little bling to the stand!

...Again, too much time, not enough cash!

Here it is all together:



Thanks for watching!
More to come...
Dan

 

1 comment:

  1. Alright, Dan. I want in on this thing. You've got millions of blog followers and I've got millions of dollars burning a hole in my wallet. You need to break into your regular programming and begin asking for money. For a donation of $100, I will draw a stick figure of you somewhere on the bike, etc.

    Hope you had a great new year and/or holiday celebration. OF course, if you spent it in bed because you're getting old, I understand! I enjoy the updates and look forward to possibly seeing this thing in person this year! Hmmm, what could that mean? Jodie and Deb need to talk!

    ReplyDelete