Monday, May 28, 2012

More Framework

We've been on vacation this week so I've had some garage time to work more on the bike. At the beginning of our week off we had some family visit us. That was nice. Here's a pic of me and my Dad in the garage...




We were checkin' out the bike. Back when I was a little guy, my Dad and Uncle rebuilt an old Harley -which they later sold... also, I remember him rolling around on an old Honda CB175 when I was about 5. Between Dad and my Grandfather it was probably just a matter of time before I became interested in motorcycles...

Anyway, here is what I accomplished this week:

I finished the tube behind the engine (welded a cap on the bottom of the tube)



This is the finished piece. I filed and sanded everything smooth.

Next I started brazing in the "piercing tubes" into the down-tube. Here is a pic of the brazed tubes "in the raw"... which just means that I brazed them, let the tubing cool, then soaked off the flux in warm water.
The next step is to finish the joint. This is first done with a coarse round file, then a fine round file, then my sore fingers and sandpaper. I also welded the bottom cap on this tube. I didn't even need any filler rod on these caps. Just melted the edges into a solid joint. FUSION BABY!





And below is the finished tube:





And here it is installed:





Next is making sure everything is square and in position so I can attach the head tube to this down tube. Once that's done, I can weld in the backbone and engine head mount. That will complete the front triangle of the frame! Can't wait to get to that point. I'm still trying to have a roller by the end of the summer... hopefully I can keep the momentum up and meet that goal.


Thanks again for reading!





No comments:

Post a Comment