Monday, May 14, 2012

Happy Birthday to me!

Happy May 14th everyone!
-Otherwise known as my birthday.

We celebrated over the weekend and my awesome wife Deb planned out my whole day.

One of the places we went was the "Wheels Through Time Museum" in Maggie Valley NC.
We've been there before, but I love that place!
I try to explain to people that this is probably the largest collection of vintage American motorcycles in the world... and I'm lucky enough to have it right in my backyard.

So here's the ironic part: If you know me, I've never really warmed up to Harley Davidson. To me (and this is just MY OPINION... obviously I'm in the minority...) the folks on Juneau Avenue like selling the IDEA of a motorcycle/lifestyle/heritage/history/legend more than they like selling actual "engineered" motorcycles. For a company to have been in business as long as they have, they should be the kings of the world in regards to technology, advancement, engineering, performance, etc. They are undoubtedly the best motorcycling marketers on the planet! But for me, I need more than just "The legend of Harley Davidson" and a shiny, thick catalog full of bandanas, belt buckles, jackets, t-shirts, coffee cups... etc.

All that to say, back in the day (early 1900's) Harley was DEFINITELY a major player in the performance motorcycle biz... and within this tiny little window of Harley's history, I am a BIG fan.

Ok. Enough of my soapbox.
Check out some of my favorite bikes/parts from this past Saturday... and get to Wheels Through Time if you can!
This is one of the first bikes you see when you enter the museum. It's a Reading Standard Board Track Racer. This pic specifically is the seat. I LOVE this seat. It's a Mesinger Racer, and pretty much un-obtainable. There are folks making replacements so that's what I'll go with, but I think it's really cool.

This is a "Thor" board track racer. -As found. According to Dale (the museum's owner) this is the only Thor racer he's ever heard of. The cool thing about Wheels Through Time is that if you want to hear something run, just find Dale and he'll start it for you. -yes seriously. When was the last time you heard a 19-teens board track racer running? For me, it was 2 days ago. By the way... Thor motorcycles were made in Aurora, IL -about 20 minutes from where I grew up!

Not one, but 3 vintage, perfect Harley racers. (note the seats!) Also, more than just bikes, look at all the vintage stuff that surrounds these bikes! Original factory boxes containing engine parts, oil, chains, leathers, etc. How does someone find all this stuff and keep it in one place???

Hey Uncle Bob, last time I was up in IL you were asking if the museum had any Harley 8 valve engines? Yup.

But one of the coolest bikes there is a 1930 board tracker. This bike is kind of an anomaly in that by 1930 board track racing was pretty much done with. However, Harley made 20 of these engines in 1930. Note the 4 exhaust pipes... It's not an 8 valve engine though... It's a 4 valve, but each exhaust port split into two so it would breathe a little better. Believe it or not, this engine is capable of 130 mph! It's a 750cc engine. The motor was in one state and the chassis was in another, but they got them back together and fired it up. The History channel spent 350K filming a show that featured this bike being rebuilt. It hasn't aired yet, but we watched it at the museum. Super high quality, and a "must see" for anyone who is into this old stuff.

All in all, a great time. I took lots more photos, and got TONS of ideas for my bike.

It was a great birthday indeed.


No comments:

Post a Comment