Sunday, September 11, 2011

Merry Early Christmas!



As posted in my last entry, I made a quick mention of a drill press... Well, being that I am primarily welding tubing together to make this motorcycle frame, I needed a way to miter (fish-mouth) the tubing ends so I could fit them properly. So, one of the ways is to use a drill press and a hole-saw. I needed to find a drill press that would slow down enough to cut steel. I found a few that would fit the bill, but they were not available locally...

So, instead of being able to plunk down some cash for a new tool, I also had to consider shipping (on a tool that weighs almost 200lbs.) and find a location for the 18-wheeler to deliver to... And I haven't even mentioned getting if OFF the truck. Drivers aren't allowed to remove it (unless you pay another fee) So, if I wanted one of these "out of state" tools, I'd have to basically double the price to get it to my... work. An 18 wheeler wouldn't make it to my house.

I guess that's one of the things that I miss about living in the Chicago 'burbs... I could pretty much drive 20 miles in any direction and get anything in the world. Asheville, NC is a little different. Anyway... I digress.

So, I decided the Porter-Cable Drill Press from Lowes would fit the bill the best. Plus, I had a 20% off coupon for Harbor Freight that Lowes HONORED!!! You know how "they" say that it never hurts to ask? -Well, it doesn't!

Gracing the table of the drill press is a compound-slide vise. I don't plan on doing any milling on my drill press, but it sure cuts down on positioning and re-positioning of the vise! So far, I really like the setup.

So, this year, Santa (Deb) came a little early... Come to think of it, he (she) came early last year too. Last year was the lathe.

Slowly, but surely, the "shop" is coming along.

No comments:

Post a Comment